Not all sound is created alike, and sometimes you want to just leave it at the Gate. Quickly cut out low hum and noise from the signal, cut reverb tails short or exaggerate the dynamics in a beat. The possibilities are... maybe not endless, but should cover your gating needs!
kHs Gate has simple but powerful controls for tuning in the desired effect, and can easily be driven by an external sidechain signal. The gate can also be flipped around to make a signal duck under another.
- Attack knob
- The attack time is the time it takes to for the gate to fully open when the input volume is over the threshold.
- Hold knob
- The hold time is the minimum time the gate will stay open.
- Release knob
- The release time is the time it takes to for the gate to fully close when the input volume is under the threshold.
- Threshold knob
- The volume threshold for when the gate will open.
- Tolerance knob
- A hysteresis range requiring the volume to drop a set amount of dB under the threshold before closing.
- Range knob
- The amount to attenuate the signal when the gate is closed.
- When enabled, a 5ms look-ahead will be used, allowing transients through at the cost of latency.
- When flipped, the gate will act in reverse attenuating the signal when the gate is open.
- VU Meter
- Displays the current input level, the selected threshold and tolerance, and the gate's current state.
- When you select anouther sound source in the sidechain drop-down the plugin uses that source for determining the behaviour of the plugin instead, it still effects the main sound source. This is useful for lowering a lead sound whenever the kick hits.
Remember that song Call on Me by Erik Prytz? It has a lot of sidechaining going on.
- Settings panel
- Whenever you have your mouse cursor over a snapin there is a small arrow at the top right corner (not visible in screenshot). It opens a settings panel where you handle presets.
It also has a "randomize" button that can be useful. I guess...
- Enabled checkbox
- The small checkbox to the left of the plugin name is a checkbox that bypasses the effect when disabled.
- Resize handle
- The bottom right corner of all Kilohearts plugins is a resize handle for scaling the UI to any size. This allows you to get a good view of the controls whatever the screen resolution, and also comes in handy if you need big controls, e.g. when using Gate as a real-time effect on a touchscreen monitor during a live set. (This is not available when the snapin is used inside a snapin host.)
Gate is a snapin
Kilohearts plugins work great together, and all the snapins can work double duty as modular components inside our snapin hosts. There are several different hosts that allow you to apply any number of snapins in various contexts, like to each individual band in the band-splitter Multipass, or add your full effects chain right inside the preset of the synth Phase Plant.
Download and installation
With your confirmation email you will get a download link to the Kilohearts Installer (1.69 MB download, EXE/DMG installer). It will quickly help you with the setup and installation of the plugins you purchased, and any others you might like (like the other free ones). It is personalized for you, so no need to copy-paste any licenses.
Payments are securely handled by 2Checkout.
All Kilohearts plugins are available through the installer as 64-bit VST, AU and AAX plugins for Windows and Mac. Most of them are also available for Propellerheads Reason, but if you are a Reason user you have to get your plugin through the Propellerhead Shop.
The Kilohearts Toolbox
The snapins work best together and the Kilohearts Toolbox offers heavy bundle discounts. It is divided into tiers so you can start out with what suits you the best!