A ring modulator gets its name from the way the original analog schematic used a ring of diodes to multiply two signals together. Honestly the schematics is more of a square, but who cares when you can trash your sound beyond recognition in both pleasant and horrible ways?
The kHs Ring Mod uses either an internal sine/noise generator or a secondary input as the second signal in the modulation, and allows for versatile transformation of the modulating signal.
- Bias knob
- Amount of positive bias to add to the secondary input.
- Rectify knob
- Amount of positive or negative rectification to apply to the of the secondary input.
- Frequency knob
- The base frequency of the internal oscillator or filter cutoff for the internal noise generator.
- Spread knob
- Shifts the frequency of the internal generator slightly for left and right channels to achieve a stereo effect.
- Selects the secondary input.
- Mix knob
- The dry/wet mix of this effect. A lower value will let some of the unmodified signal through.
- Settings panel
- Whenever you have your mouse cursor over a snapin there is a small arrow at the top right corner (not visible in screenshot). It opens a settings panel where you handle presets.
It also has a "randomize" button that can be useful. I guess...
- Enabled checkbox
- The small checkbox to the left of the plugin name is a checkbox that bypasses the effect when disabled.
- Resize handle
- The bottom right corner of all Kilohearts plugins is a resize handle for scaling the UI to any size. This allows you to get a good view of the controls whatever the screen resolution, and also comes in handy if you need big controls, e.g. when using Ring Mod as a real-time effect on a touchscreen monitor during a live set. (This is not available when the snapin is used inside a snapin host.)
Ring Mod is a snapin
Kilohearts plugins work great together, and all the snapins can work double duty as modular components inside our snapin hosts. There are several different hosts that allow you to apply any number of snapins in various contexts, like to each individual band in the band-splitter Multipass, or add your full effects chain right inside the preset of the synth Phase Plant.
Download and installation
With your confirmation email you will get a download link to the Kilohearts Installer (1.69 MB download, EXE/DMG installer). It will quickly help you with the setup and installation of the plugins you purchased, and any others you might like (like the other free ones). It is personalized for you, so no need to copy-paste any licenses.
Payments are securely handled by 2Checkout.
All Kilohearts plugins are available through the installer as 64-bit VST, AU and AAX plugins for Windows and Mac. Most of them are also available for Reason Studios Reason, but if you are a Reason user you have to get your plugin through the Reason Studios Shop.
The Kilohearts Toolbox
The snapins work best together and the Kilohearts Toolbox offers heavy bundle discounts. It is divided into tiers so you can start out with what suits you the best!