"I'm really addicted to Distortion right now. It's so fucking good."Gramatik
Ever since mankind invented music, there has been a desire to make it heavier.[Citation needed] Distortion can take your sound from zero to sword wielding hero in seconds.
5 different distortion shapes are available to add a tinge of edge or rip things apart. In stereo, if that's what you're into.
- Drive knob
- The drive setting will boost the input signal, causing a heavier distortion.
- Bias knob
- The bias will add a DC offset to the signal before distorting. Adding some bias can prevent the distorted audio from sounding hollow and uninteresting.
- Spread knob
- The spread will add different amount of bias to the left and right channels. This can give some nice and subtle stereo widening.
- The flavor of distortion. Select between overdrive, saturate, foldback, sine and hard clip.
- A common problem with distortion is that it can remove the dynamic content of the input signal, forcing the output to maximum volume. Turn up this knob to preserve the dynamics of the input.
- Mix knob
- The dry/wet mix of this effect. A lower value will let some of the unmodified signal through.
- Settings panel
- Whenever you have your mouse cursor over a snapin there is a small arrow at the top right corner (not visible in screenshot). It opens a settings panel where you handle presets.
It also has a "randomize" button that can be useful. I guess...
- Enabled checkbox
- The small checkbox to the left of the plugin name is a checkbox that bypasses the effect when disabled.
- Resize handle
- The bottom right corner of all Kilohearts plugins is a resize handle for scaling the UI to any size. This allows you to get a good view of the controls whatever the screen resolution, and also comes in handy if you need big controls, e.g. when using Distortion as a real-time effect on a touchscreen monitor during a live set. (This is not available when the snapin is used inside a snapin host.)
Distortion is a snapin
Kilohearts plugins work great together, and all the snapins can work double duty as modular components inside our snapin hosts. There are several different hosts that allow you to apply any number of snapins in various contexts, like to each individual band in the band-splitter Multipass, or add your full effects chain right inside the preset of the synth Phase Plant.
Download and installation
With your confirmation email you will get a download link to the Kilohearts Installer (1.69 MB download, EXE/DMG installer). It will quickly help you with the setup and installation of the plugins you purchased, and any others you might like (like the other free ones). It is personalized for you, so no need to copy-paste any licenses.
Payments are securely handled by 2Checkout.
All Kilohearts plugins are available through the installer as 64-bit VST, AU and AAX plugins for Windows and Mac. Most of them are also available for Reason Studios Reason, but if you are a Reason user you have to get your plugin through the Reason Studios Shop.
The Kilohearts Toolbox
The snapins work best together and the Kilohearts Toolbox offers heavy bundle discounts. It is divided into tiers so you can start out with what suits you the best!